Saturday, September 15, 2007

Blast from the Past


I found this monstrosity in my parent's basement during a visit last week. I drew it almost 20 years ago when I was 16 years old and I didn't have a clue - it was drawn with ballpoint pen and crayola markers on 24 x 18 inch glossy paper. According to the signature it took me THREE MONTHS to draw. I used to do this thing where I would copy poses out of comics but change the costume into a different character so it would be an "original" drawing and not a copy. Sub-Marriner is definately copied from a Captain Brittain drawing, and I'm pretty sure Moon Knight is a copied pose too - the rest of them are probably legitimately original.

Believe it or not, this actually won an award at a comic art competition at Books Galore in Erie, Pennsylvania (the store is still around the last time I checked). It got first place in the 15 - 18 year old category. It was displayed in the store all summer, but then when I went to go pick it up they said that all winning entries became property of the store, because I had recieved a prize for winning (I think it was a 20 dollar giftcertificate and a free movie pass). I told them that if I had known that I would have to give up the artwork I never would have entered the competition in the first place. So they decided to give the art back to me which was nice of them. Maybe they just didn't want to see a 16-year-old cry. It was a windy day and as soon as I stepped outside this artwork was ripped out of my hands and blew into traffic, (the store is located on a 4-lane road) where it got run over by a truck and dragged through a few puddles. I ran out into the road and grabbed it, but the damage had already been done and the colors had run all over the place. I kind of like it better this way.

The wife thought it was awesome that I used to draw giant crowd scenes of superheroes for fun when I was in high school, and now it's my job and I complain about it.

1 comment:

Fab said...

That is one crazy drawing! I'm surprised it survived the beating that it took. Plus, it looks pretty good.