Monday, June 1, 2009

MODOK!

Time to spill the beans.

I'm writing and drawing a M.O.D.O.K. one-shot for Marvel Comics.

Let me repeat that.

I'M WRITING AND DRAWING A *M.O.D.O.K.* BOOK FOR MARVEL COMICS!



Down on his luck, MODOK sets his sights on his hometown of Erie, Pennsylvania* as the staging ground for his latest world conquest plans only to discover that his family, old classmates and apathetic locals are more formidable enemies than any super hero could be. Guest starring Norman Osborn and an obscure Canadian mutant super hero you've probably never heard of.

MODOK: REIGN DELAY (a DARK REIGN tie-in, no really!) will debut as a 4-part series on Marvel.com's Digital Comics Unlimited service beginning June 10, 2009. The printed one-shot arrives in comic stores September 2, 2009.

Yes, I assure you this is very, very real, not a joke, not a fan-comic or anything like that. This is a real Marvel Comic book set in the "real" Marvel Universe 616 continuity starring Jack Kirby's greatest super villain creation - George Tarleton, the Mobile Organism Designed Only for Killing, written and drawn by the creator of such classic sequential masterpieces as "Jap Smasher" and "Diarrhea Dog". BELIEVE IT!!!

Big thanks to my editor Jordan White for making my first Marvel work a breeze, and an extra shout out to editor Nate Cosby and Marvel.com creative head and taco enthusiast Ryan Penangos for their early support and encouragement on this. Extra big huge mega-thanks to my comic book brother-in-arms Fred Van Lente for pitching this project with me and then being too damn busy to script it himself.

Check out the Marvel.com video where I babble on incoherently about the story, along with a bunch of preview art:



I'm excited, are you excited? I'm excited.

*(Yeah, I know the Marvel Handbook and all other official reference materials say MODOK's hometown is Bangor, Maine and not Erie - but that's all explained in the story, right on page 2 in fact.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow thats great!
Now tell us more about what makes you tick.

Cory from SLAUGHTER FILM said...

Where did the idea to use Erie Pa? I live here in Erie and the town being used in a comic book made the paper [as funny as that is]. Was it just the name "Eeerie" or what?

- Cory

Ryan Dunlavey said...

I used to live in Erie.