Friday, September 7, 2012

My new book: THE DIRT CANDY COOKBOOK & party announcement!


Hey look, I have a new comic book graphic novel!



The Dirt Candy Cookbook by Amanda Cohen and Ryan Dunlavey with Grady Hendrix is both a cookbook AND a graphic novel. It’s half recipes, half comics with some blurring of the lines in-between, where we use comics to demonstrate cooking techniques in the recipes themselves AND have food techniques included as part of the story sections. The power of comics! It’s a natural extenuation of the humorous non-fiction comics I do with Fred Van Lente on a subject that I’m very personally invested in - food and cooking! I’m INCREDIBLY proud of it and I really hope you’ll check it out.

Here’s a few of my favorite pages!


There's lots more where that came from - you can read the first 2 chapters of the book at Amazon.

The book is a labor of love for Amanda, Grady and me - we busted our humps non-stop for most of 2011 (and a good chunk of 2012) writing scripts, testing recipes and drawing, drawing, drawing. SO much drawing.


Seriously, even if you’re not into cooking Amanda’s memoir of being a working chef in New York City AND what she went through to open up her own Michelin-recommended restaurant is fascinating reading. It’s all true and all hilarious.

Look - the press love us!


Comics Alliance (GREAT review)
MTV Geek (BIG interview)
The New York Times (interview)
The Daily News (big feature)
Andrea Strong’s Strong Buzz (review)
USA Today (quick review)
The Huffington Post (review)
The Wall Street Journal (feature)
The Daily Meal (video interview!)
Eater (interview with Amanda)

And we’re having a release party!

THIS MONDAY, September 10, 2012 at Housing Works Book Cafe in New York City. Amanda, Grady and I will give a short presentation where we will read excerpts, talk about the book and field questions. There will be food, drinks and a book signing. Free admission, so get there early! Click here for all the details.

And look - we made a trailer! (I did the animation)



Whew! Now I’m hungry.

No comments: